Personal tools

You are here: Home / About Us / History of our Library / Library History page 2

Library History page 2

In 1936, the library moved to the rear room of the City Hall and later that year was turned over to the town to be administered by the Town Council.  It remained there for [25] years until the Post Office facility on 5th Street was vacated in 1961.  For the first time since its founding, the library was on a ground floor, street-facing location separate from any other business.

It would stay there until the fall of 1973 when the former Kalona High School (later the junior high) building was renovated into the Community Building.

Given the school’s former auditorium, the library truly became a resource-reading facility with a wide bank of windows, copious bookshelves, a librarian’s office, storage facilities and considerable space for growth.  There was even room for a children’s alcove complete with table and chairs. 

< Page 1 - Page 3 >

This resource is supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by State Library of Iowa.