Step by step instructions to download audiobooks
Step 1: Install Free Software
1. Click here to install the OverDrive Media Console and Windows Media Player. (If your OverDrive system is not working, make sure you have updated to the 3.0 version)
Note: Windows Operating System 98 SE or later is required.
2. The first time you open OverDrive Media Console or download an audiobook, you will be prompted to complete a one-time security upgrade for Windows Media Player. This enables playback of copy-protected Windows Media files.
Step 2: Browse & Check Out Titles
1. Browse and search the digital library on the http://wilbor.lib.overdrive.com page.
2. Add selections to your Cart.
Note: If a download audiobook is not available, you may place a hold. You will receive an email when the title is available for checkout.
3. Click on the 'Proceed to Checkout' link and enter your full library card number, found on the top of your card. If there is a letter or symbol in your number, replace it with the number "0". If you have questions, please call the library at #319-656-3501.
Step 3: Download title to your Desktop or Laptop
1. Click on the 'Download' button under each title to launch OverDrive Media Console.
2. Select parts to download, then click 'OK'. The download will begin.
Once downloaded to a PC, audiobooks can be enjoyed on your computer or transfered to a Pocket PC, PDA, Smartphone, or supported MP3 player. Many titles can be burned to CD. See How to Transfer to a Portable Device and How to Burn to CD in the next section.
Note: The iPod is now compatible with OverDrive Audiobooks.
How to Burn to CD (click here).
At the end of the lending period, your download audiobook will automatically expire and be checked back into the digital library. There are no late fees!
The file will still be visible on your computer, but is unable to be opened. You may check out the title again, download a new license, and listen to the previously downloaded parts. Once you are finished with the audiobook, delete it from OverDrive Media Console.
An audiobook is a digital version of a recorded reading of a book. An OverDrive Audiobook is a digitally-protected audiobook that has been optimized for download. OverDrive Audiobooks use the Microsoft Windows Media Audio format, which greatly enhances the sound quality for desktop listening, play of CD copies (when allowed by the publisher), and portable device use.
OverDrive Media ConsoleTM
OverDrive Media Console is free, fully integrated, and easy-to-use software that handles all aspects of your download audiobook experience. OverDrive Media Console is based on the WindowsR Media Player and allows you to download and enjoy OverDrive Audiobooks on most Windows computers. It provides a seamless user experience with easy navigation. OverDrive Media Console includes a Transfer Wizard that allows you to transfer titles to your supported portable device in just a few clicks. For audiobooks that may be burned to CD, OverDrive Media Console works with Windows Media Player.
The leading digital media service provider for libraries, schools, and retailers, OverDrive enables your library to deliver download audiobooks and other digital media from your library's website. Founded in 1986, OverDrive is based in Cleveland, OH.